May is Lupus Awareness month

May is Lupus awareness month!

3775-BTFLad

What is Lupus?  Systemic lupus erythematosus (S.L.E.), commonly called Lupus, is a chronic autoimmune disorder that can affect virtually any organ of the body. In lupus, the body’s immune system, which normally functions to protect against foreign invaders, becomes hyperactive, forming antibodies that attack normal tissues and organs, including the skin, joints, kidneys, brain, heart, lungs, and blood. Lupus is characterized by periods of illness, called flares, and periods of wellness, or remission. (http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/conditions/lupus/fact_sheet.htm)

If you read my cut and paste definition of Lupus you would conclude that it is a serious disease. And yes it is. I take it seriously in terms of taking care of myself. I stay away from the sun, I avoid stress, most especially stressful people, hehe! I eat right, I exercise. Despite my have to’s and don’t do list, I basically have a light mood towards my lupus. When I meet someone who has no idea what Lupus is, here is how I personally explain it: Because I’m crazy (pause and smile), my antibodies are crazy too and they attack my own body. Then I go into an in-depth description of how lupus affects me.

Some SLE patients may not like my nonchalant definition of lupus. They say that no 2 lupus patients are the same. They may say that I have the better version of it and that’s why I can define it in a comedic way. I disagree. I lost my 11 day old baby girl because of my lupus. I’ve been through a lot. But what will sulking and being miserable do? I believe that to make people understand, you have to show them first that you are strong, you are coping and that it is OK to have it.

It’s there, I’ve had it for years, I’m going to have it until the end of my life. You don’t let an illness define you, YOU DEFINE YOUR ILLNESS! We need to find the positive in everything. You take hold of your life. God has great plans for all of us and 1 roadblock doesn’t mean it ends there!

Advertisements

About Ky Malupa

Housewife. Mother of 2 angels. Gluten free, dairy free, corn free baker and eater. SLE patient. Hair and Makeup Artist. Image Enhancement Instructor.
This entry was posted in The Lupus Warrior. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to May is Lupus Awareness month

1. Joyce Pascual Agsaway says:

Nice one ky… im so happy to have met u in this lifetime.. friends for life!!!

2. Ky Malupa says:

Thanks! Me too sis ❤ Cheers to that!

3. Mara Picornell says:

Hi Kyla! Im so glad to read all your entries about Lupus since my Ate is also undergoing the perils of this illness. She’s currently going through a very strong flare-up which she is seriously having a difficult time recovering from. She’s also receiving a lot of steroid shots (more than the usual) but still keeps her strong spirit. We’re hoping and praying she gets through this as she still has 2 little girls still need their mother. Glad to know you’re doing all you can to make people aware of Lupus and at the same time, be a very strong person yourself. I’m truly proud of you. Thanks Ky!

4. Ky Malupa says:

Hi Mara! She’s receiving steroid shots? The most steroid I’ve had at any time was about 40mg of prednisone daily. I’m sure you guys are proud of her, and I am proud of her too for keeping her spirits up 🙂 Please tell her that God is our great healer, and “this too shall pass.” We will include her recovery in our prayers.. Thanks Mara for the kind words.. When your sister feels a lot better I would love to meet someone as strong and positive as her 🙂

5. Michelle Tuyor says:

My cousin shared with me your blog cause I have recently been diagnosed with SLE (going on 3 months) and it has been tough with all the hospital visits and medications. After reading your blog, I was filled with more faith and more fighting spirit to keep going and just live life to the fullest.

• Ky Malupa says:

Hi Michelle! Sorry it took me a while to reply, things have been crazy busy.

I am always on the dot with my visits and blood tests. Eat healthy and get lots of rest. Be stress free and sun free 🙂 My husband and I will include you in our prayers. SLE is livable, you just have to make sure that you take care of yourself. God bless!

6. Pingback: I AM A LUPUS WARRIOR | The Housewife